Friday, July 06, 2007

Second Life and Learning

Yesterday I recieved my new Technology and Learning magazine in the mail and browsed through it. The article that caught my eye was about using Second Life for conferences. The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) sponsered a virtual educational technology conference via Second Life (SL) this spring. What a great way to get teachers from all over the world into the classroom and to experience what their students are doing.

Personally, I could never understand why people were paying to live in a virual world when I had the SIMS for the cost of a program. Paying property taxes and so on its stressful in reality, I'm not sure I want to do it in a virtual world. I honestly have never been into the SL site. I've just gathered at the door, but this new use may just make me have to try it out. It is great when people like Veritas Variscan aka Doreen Pugh is thinking outside the box and looking for new ways to educate teachers and to force them into their students' world.

No comments: